Fr. William Martin
The Reverend William J. Martin, 83, of Sherwood, OH, passed away at the Ursuline Center in Toledo, OH. He was born in Sandusky, Ohio on January 4, 1925. He was the son of the late William T. and Nell (Bauman) Martin. He served at The Bend, St. Stephen's and Marysdale Immaculate Conception as pastor from 1988 till 2002. Served at Fostoria, St. Wendelin as associate pastor from 1986 -1988. Assistant at Toledo, Holy Rosary Cathedral from 1985 till 1986. Diocese of Steubenville from 1980 till 1981. Founding Rector of Seminary of the Holy Spirit from 1964 till 1972. Assistant vocational director for the Diocesan Vocational Office. Assistant at Toledo, St. Catherine from 1950 - 1964. Toledo Central Catholic High School vocational director from 1950 - 1964. Assistant at Vermillion, St. Mary in 1950. President of the Confraternity of Catholic Clergy since 1999, assistant commissioner of Children's Mental Health in 1979. Chairman of the Vocations Section of the NCEA from 1962-1964. Chairman of the Junior Clergy Exam Board 1964-1972. First International Congress for Priestly Vocation in 1962. Executive director of West & Midwest Diocese Vocational Director 1956-1961. Attended Holy Angels and SS Peter & Paul, Sandusky High School - graduated in 1941, graduate of Saint Meinrad Seminary, St. Meinrad, IN; St. Mary Seminary, Cincinnati, OH; University of Toledo; Ohio State University. Obtained his BA degree in 1946 from St. Meinrad. Obtained his Masters from the University of Notre Dame in 1960. Education degrees from the University of Toledo in 1968 and 1970 and from Ohio State in 1981. Surviving is a sister, Catherine Schneider of Fremont, OH. Also survived by 6 nieces and nephews. Preceded in death by a sister, Marjorie Orchekowski.