Fr. Richard Miller
Rev. Richard G. Miller, a retired priest of the Diocese of Toledo, passed away at the Little Sisters of the Poor in Oregon, OH, where he has resided since 2000. He was born on July 4, 1925, in Lima, OH, to William and Gertrude (Mauthe) Miller. Father Richard attended St. Rose Grade School and High School in Lima, OH. He then attended the Saint Meinrad School of Theology's Minor and Major Seminary, receiving a BA in 1946. He went on to receive a Master of Education from Bowling Green State University in 1969, and a Master of Divinity from Mount St. Mary University, Emmetsburg, MD in 1976. Father Richard was ordained a priest of the 19-County Catholic Diocese of Toledo on May 18, 1950. His assignments included: Pastor of St. Agnes, Toledo (1984-1997), St. James, Toledo (1976-1984), St. Caspar, Wauseon (1973-1976), and SS Peter & Paul (1967-1973); and Assistant Pastor of St. Michael, Findlay (1958-1967), St. Mary, Assumption (1958), St. John, Delphos (1955-1958), St. Mary, Clyde (1950-1954), and SS Peter & Paul, Sandusky (1950-1955). He loved the outdoors and could often be seen bicycling in Lima and at Pearson Park in Oregon. He also enjoyed gardening and tending the many fruit trees in his brother Dan's yard in Perrysburg. Survivors include his sisters, Gertrude "Trudy" Schrantz of Aliso Viejo, CA and Julia Leobaka of Lima, OH; sister-in-law, Phyllis Miller of Perrysburg, OH; and many nieces and nephews. In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his sisters, Catherine "Kate" Diepenbrock, Rita Crow and Rosemary Sliemers and brothers, William, Joseph, David "Dan", and Edward Miller. The family asks that tributes be in the form of contributions to the Little Sisters of the Poor, and Masses for the eternal happiness of Father Miller's soul.Information obtained from The Toledo Blade online, www.toledoblade.com, on 3/31/2009"