J. W. "Bill" Barras
J.W. (Bill) Barras departed this life on the morning of April 8, 2010, and entered into eternal rest.Bill was born in Herrin to J. W. Barras, Sr. and Katherine M. (Stefan) Barras on April 6, 1940.Bill's early years were spent in Johnston City until their family moved to Herrin to operate Texaco service stations.After Bill graduated from Herrin High School he entered Saint Meinrad Seminary in St. Meinrad, IN. There he spent six years until returning to Herrin, were he worked with Mrs. Mildred Yuill at "Yuill Music" as it was called then. In October of 1965, Mrs. Yuill sold the business to the Barras family and Bill eventually converted the name to "Baldwin Piano and Organ Center. The business is still serving the entire region and points beyond covering many states.Bill devoted many years to St. Francis Xavier of Carbondale and Our Lady of Mt. Carmel of Herrin in music ministry. Bill's talent and gift in the liturgical music aspects of these churches will be greatly missed.Memorials may be made to Hospice of Southern Illinois, St. Paul's Catholic Church of Johnston City, St. Francis CARE Animal Shelter (no-kill shelter) at 6228 Country Club Road, Murphysboro, IL, 62966 or to Cache Creek Rescue Animal Shelter at 1235 Spanish Bluff Road, Anna, IL, 62906. To sign the guest register or for more information visit www.murmanandwilson.com.Published in The Southern Illinoisan from April 9 to April 11, 2010.