Fr. Henry Stuecker
The Reverend Henry Clement Stuecker, 96, died peacefully on April 29, 2010.Father Stuecker served as a Catholic Priest for 72 years. He was preceded in death by his parents, Henry C. Stuecker, Sr., and Philomenia Stuecker; his sister, Mary B. Howser of Frankfort, KY; his brother, Edwin S. Stuecker Sr; and his nephew, Edwin S. Stuecker Jr.He is survived by his sister, Elizabeth C. Stuecker; and many nieces and nephews, Elizabeth A. Zanglia of Gainesville, FL, Mary J. Rodriguez of San Diego, CA, John Howser of Frankfort, KY, Gerald B. Stuecker (Jan) of Houston, TX, Phillip J. Stuecker (Joy) and J. Carol Stuecker; 11 great-nieces and great-nephews; and many great-great nieces and nephews.Father Stuecker was born on September 19, 1913 in Louisville, was baptized in St. Brigid Catholic Church, entered Saint Meinrad Seminary in 1927 and was ordained a priest on June 11, 1938 at the Cathedral of the Assumption. He later (in 1973) earned a Master in Divinity degree from St. Meinrad Seminary.Father Stuecker's first parish was Holy Trinity Church where he served for two years as Asst. Pastor. In 1940, he was appointed to Holy Name Church as an Assistant Pastor. He was later appointed to Our Mother of Sorrows where he remained until he entered the U.S. Army in November 1942. Father Stuecker served as a Captain in World War II from 1942-1946 where he was a Chaplain in the 1st Armored Division in Italy and North Africa. He retired from active service in 1946 but remained in the U.S. Army Reserves and retired as a Major in 1953.Upon his return from World War II, Father Stuecker served as Assistant Pastor of St. Frances of Rome Church until 1951 when he was appointed Pastor of Our Lady of the Hills Church in Finley, KY and its mission churches in Campbellsville, Spurlington and Phillipsburg, KY. During this time, Father Stuecker built a school in Campbellsville. In 1956, Father Stuecker became Founding Pastor of St. Clement Church and was responsible for building both St. Clement Church and School.In 1967, Father Stuecker was appointed Pastor of Holy Name Church where he served until 1969 when he became Pastor of Sts. Simon and Jude Church. While there, he oversaw the construction of a new classroom building. He remained at Sts. Simon and Jude Church until his retirement in 1984. Following his official retirement in 1984, Father Stuecker served as Senior Associate of Our Mother of Sorrows for sixteen years until his "second retirement" in 2000.Published in the Louisville Courier-Journal on 5/1/2010.