Part of ministry leadership means providing support and care for
those serving others: an overworked pastor, parish minister,
chaplain or deacon, etc. This program will give you the tools and
competencies you need to provide such support and receive it
Certificates are available in two fields: pastoral care and
A Schedule that Fits Your Needs
Two five-day seminars are held on the Saint Meinrad campus-one
in January and another the following January, with graduation
in May following the second January session. For the rest of
the 15-month program, you do the work at your convenience and
arrange your supervisory sessions to suit your schedule.
The cost of the program is $2,500, which includes seminar fees,
housing and meals.
Graduate Credits Policy
Students in the Certificates in Reflective Practices program
have the option of earning 4 graduate credits for successfully
completing the program. By the second January meeting of the
supervision cohort, credit-seeking students must submit a course
registration form to the Registrar, registering for either
Certificate in Supervision - Preaching or Certificate in
Supervision - Pastoral Care, for 4 credits.
There is no additional charge beyond the regular Certificates in
Reflective Practices program fee, but to earn the credits students
must complete their assignments by the regular spring semester
grade submission deadline.
Students who successfully complete a certificate in
ministry leadership will demonstrate:
- the ability to participate actively in presentations,
discussion, personal and group reflection, role play,
- effective listening and communication skills;
- an ability to reflect on and critically analyze their own and
others' ministerial practice;
- knowledge of the theories, models, and tools necessary to help
Applicants should meet the following criteria:
- Five or more years in ministry
- Master’s degree, DMin, PhD or equivalent theological
- Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) or some equivalent is
To request an application packet, please click
Requirements for Certificate Completion:
- Attendance at two five-day seminars at
Saint Meinrad Seminary and School of Theology.
- Completion of required reading provided for each five-day
- 22 hours of supervision feedback from a trained supervisor; 10
hours will be achieved during the five-day seminars and the
remaining 12 supervisory hours will be done at the participant’s
own ministry site. For each supervision session, the student
presents a case summary with videotape.
- A final written project of 10 to 12 pages, plus a list of