Seminar Schedule: Certificate in Ministry Supervision
The certificate program begins with a weeklong seminar in
January, followed by another weeklong seminar during the subsequent
January. The first five-day seminar focuses on the art and
discipline of supervision. The second five-day seminar provides
application and content in the field of the participant’s choice:
pastoral care or homiletics.
The first seminar addresses the fundamentals of the art of
supevision. Participants will learn about:
- The basics of supervision: program expectations, creating a
supervisory relationship, establishing contract goals;
- Important topics of listening: the discipline of
self-awareness, the dangers of transference, advanced listening
- Methods for supervision: role play, demonstrations by
supervisors, individual and group practice of skills.
During the second seminar, greater attention is paid to the
supervisor’s specific area of ministry and those characteristics of
supervision unique to this ministry. Topics for the second week
- Supervisory skills: overcoming hurdles, addressing problems in
supervision, advanced supervision;
- Content and practice that relate directly to the
specialization: homiletics or pastoral care.