Course materials are the responsibility of the program
participant and are not included in the program cost. Required and
suggested readings for each course are listed below. Additional
articles, reference materials or e-resources may be suggested by
the individual seminar instructor.
Nurturing Generous Congregations and
- Collins, Jim. Good to Great and the Social
Sectors: Why Business Thinking is Not the
- Heath, Dan and Chip.Switch: How to
Change Things When Change is Hard. Crown
- Heifetz, Ronald. The Practice of Adaptive
Leadership. Tools and Tactics for Changing Your Organization and
the World. Harvard Business Press, 2009.
- Kotter, John. Leading
Change. Harvard Business Review Press,
- Pohl, Christine. Living Into Community:
Cultivating Practices that Sustain Us. Wm. B. Eerdmans
Publishing, 2011. pp. 1-57.
- Williams, Karla. Leading the Fundraising
Charge: The Role of the Nonprofit Executive. Wiley,
Shaping a Theology of Money
- Dorff, Elliot N. The Way Into Tikkum Olam:
Repairing the World. Jewish Lights Publishing,
- Johnson, Luke Timothy. The Life of Faith and
the Faithful Use of Possessions. (PDF available
through Lake Institute)*
- Johnson, Luke Timothy. Sharing Possessions:
What Faith Demands, 2nd edition. Eerdmans,
- Pelikan, Jaroslav. "Stewardship of Money in the Early
Church," in Good and Faithful
Servant. St. Vladimir's Press, 2003.
- Vacek, SJ, Edward. "A Catholic Theology of
Philanthropy." Religious Giving for the Love of
God, ed. David Smith (Indiana University Press, 2010),
- Wheeler, Sondra. "Freely Give" in Religious
Giving: For Love of God. Indiana University Press,
- Witherington III, Benjamin. Jesus and Money:
A Guide for Times of Financial Crisis. Brazo Press,
Fundraising as Ministry
- Christopher, J. Cliff. Not Your Parents'
Offering Plate: A New Vision for Financial
Stewardship. Abingdon, 2008.
- Conway, Daniel. Advancing the Mission of the
Church: Best Practices in Stewardship and Development for Catholic
Organizations. St. Catherine of Siena Press,
- Nouwen, Henri. Spirituality of
Fundraising. Upper Room,
- Robinson, Anthony B. Stewardship for Vital
Congregations. Pilgrim Press, 2011.
Nurturing Generous Donors
- Schervish, Paul and Keith Whitaker. Wealth
and the Will of God: Discerning the Use of Riches in Serving the
Ultimate Purpose. Indiana University Press,
- Salamon, Julie. Rambam's Ladder: A
Meditation on Generosity and Why it is Necessary to
Give. Workman Publishing,
- Arrillaga-Andreesen, Laura. Giving 2.0: Transform Your
Giving and Our World. Jossey-Bass, 2011.
* Required reading